NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center offers three different tracks within the Internal Medicine Residency Program. The large Categorical Program offers the traditional three years of training in the core of internal medicine. The Primary Care Program focuses on ambulatory internal medicine and academic general internal medicine, a veritable launching pad for someone interested in becoming an academic clinician-educator. Finally, the Medical Research Track provides accelerated clinical training for individuals with strong scientific research backgrounds who wish to pursue a career as a physician-scientist.
All of the internal medicine residency programs subscribe to the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for first-year trainees. Applicants are welcome to apply to as many of the tracks that interest them; application to each track is considered independently. Interviews begin in November 2016, continuing through mid-January 2017, and are by invitation only. Applicants will be considered for an interview on the basis of their overall record.
Please understand that the residency program leadership and the Intern Selection Committee respect the review process as fair and balanced. As such, we will not respond to any direct communications (email, phone, etc.) by an applicant prior to our first interview date, November 8, 2016.
The application deadline is October 7, 2016.
Use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through your dean's office and register with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). We accept intern applicants only through the NRMP Match. For further information, please contact us: NYPCornell-IMResidency@med.cornell.edu.
Please comply with the following guidelines when completing your application:
- Completed ERAS Application (Be sure to include if you have been elected to AOA or Gold Humanism under the Profile Section.)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation or Dean's Letter
- A Department of Medicine Summary Letter from the Department Chair or Designee
- At least two Faculty Letters of Recommendation (more than two are acceptable)
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE STEP 1 Transcript (If STEP 2CK and/or STEP 2CS Transcripts are available, please submit them)
- Personal statement
NOTE: If you are applying for the Medical Research Track, please also include:
- One letter from your primary research mentor/supervisor (or thesis advisor for those who have completed a Ph.D.), and one other from an individual familiar with your research (more than two are acceptable).
- Complete and return the Supplemental Application 2016-2017 ( Word | PDF) to NYPCornell-IMResidency@med.cornell.edu, including a copy of your relevant publications in one PDF file.