List below are a selection of publications from our primary care residents. These publications reflect projects taken on at Cornell.
Kerry Meltzer, current resident
- Meltzer K. "I'm Treating Too Many Young People for the Coronavirus." The Atlantic, 26 Mar 2020.
- Meltzer K. “Vaccines Are Safe, No Matter What Robert Kennedy Jr Says.” The New York Times, 30 Dec 2020.
Kara Ryan, current resident
- Swed B, Ryan K, Gandarilla O, Shah MA, Brar G. (2021). Favorable response to second-line atezolizumab and bevacizumab following progression on nivolumab in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: A case report demonstrating that anti-VEGF therapy overcomes resistance to checkpoint inhibition. Medicine, 100(25). doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000026471.
Xin Wang, current resident
- Wang XA, Duculan R, Mancuso CA. Coping Mechanisms Mitigate Psychological Stress in Patients With Rheumatologic Diseases During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Clin Rheumatol. 2021 May 28. doi: 10.1097/RHU.0000000000001757.
- Wang X, Gkrouzman E, Barbhaiya M, Erkan D. Antiphospholipid syndrome and COVID-19: What you should know. Hospital for Special Surgery. Published September 28, 2020.
Brittney Frankel, 2020 graduate
- Sinha S, Dillon J, Dargar SK, Archambault A, Martin P, Frankel BA, Lee JI, Carmel AS, Safford M. What to expect that you're not expecting: A pilot video education intervention to improve patient self-efficacy surrounding discharge medication barriers. Health Informatics J. 2019 Dec;25(4):1595-1605. doi: 10.1177/1460458218796644. Epub 2018 Aug 31. PubMed PMID: 30168366.
- Carmel AS, Cornelius-Schecter A, Frankel B, Jannat-Khah D, Sinha S, Pelzman F, Safford MM. Evaluation of the Patient Activated Learning System (PALS) to improve knowledge acquisition, retention, and medication decision making among hypertensive adults: Results of a pilot randomized controlled trial. Patient Educ Couns. 2019 Aug;102(8):1467-1474. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2019.03.001. Epub 2019 Mar 4. PubMed PMID: 30928344.
Lauren Kelly, 2020 graduate
- Sanderasa U, Kelly L, Goss A. "We have to teach doctors about injustice." The BMJ Opinion. 12 Jun 2020.
Alexandra King, 2020 graduate
- King A., Ringel JB, Safford MM, Riffin C, Adelman R, Roth DL, Sterling MR. (2021). Association Between Caregiver Strain and Self-Care Among Caregivers With Diabetes. JAMA Network Open, 4(2), e2036676-e2036676. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.36676.
Deborah Fung, 2019 graduate
- Liyanage-Don N, Fung D, Phillips E, Kronish IM. (2019). Implementing home blood pressure monitoring into clinical practice. Current Hypertension Reports, 21(2), 1-14.
Mariella Ntamatungiro, 2019 graduate
- Reshetnyak E, Ntamatungiro M, Pinheiro LC, Howard VJ, Carson AP, Martin KD, Safford MM. Impact of Multiple Social Determinants of Health on Incident Stroke. Stroke. 2020 Aug;51(8):2445-2453. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.120.028530. Epub 2020 Jul 16. PMID: 32673521.
Masha Slavin, 2019 graduate
- Kern LM, Safford MM, Slavin MJ, Makovkina E, Fudl A, Carrillo JE, Abramson EL. Patients' and Providers' Views on Causes and Consequences of Healthcare Fragmentation in the Ambulatory Setting: a Qualitative Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2019 Jun;34(6):899-907. doi: 10.1007/s11606-019-04859-1. Epub 2019 Feb 19. PMID: 30783883; PMCID: PMC6544669.
- Slavin MJ, Rajan M, Kern LM. Internal medicine residents identify gaps in medical education on outpatient referrals. BMC Med Educ. 2020 Jul 30;20(1):243. doi: 10.1186/s12909-020-02177-3.
Deborah Fung, 2019 graduate
- Liyanage-Don N, Fung D, Phillips E, Kronish IM. Implementing Home Blood Pressure Monitoring into Clinical Practice. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2019 Feb 12;21(2):14. doi: 10.1007/s11906-019-0916-0. PMID: 30747350.
Rebecca Boas and Kevin Liou, 2018 graduates
- Liou KT, Boas R, Murphy S, Leung P, Boas S, Card A, Asgary R. (2021). Addressing Psychosocial Stressors through a Community-Academic Partnership between a Museum and a Federally Qualified Health Center: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 32(2), 767-782.
Michael Gao, 2017 graduate
- Gao MC, Martin PB, Motal J, Gingras LF, Chai C, Maikoff ME, Sarkisian AM, Rosenthal N, Eiss BM. A Multidisciplinary Discharge Timeout Checklist Improves Patient Education and Captures Discharge Process Errors. Qual Manag Health Care. 2018 Apr/Jun;27(2):63-68. doi: 10.1097/QMH.0000000000000168.
Peggy Leung, 2017 graduate
- Sterling M, Leung P, Wright D, Bishop TF. The Use of Social Media in Graduate Medical Education: A Systematic Review. Acad Med. 2017 Jul;92(7):1043-1056. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000001617.
- Sterling MR, Shaw AL, Leung PB, Safford MM, Jones CD, Tsui EK, Delgado D. Home care workers in heart failure: a systematic review. J Multidiscip Healthc. 2018 Sep 25;11:481-492. doi: 10.2147/JMDH.S175512.